Do Sorn Vehicles Need Insurance

2 min read

Do Sorn Vehicles Need Insurance
How To SORN A Car CarCliq from

Do SORN Vehicles Need Insurance?

Many vehicle owners in the UK are familiar with the term SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification). It is a legal requirement for individuals who own a vehicle but do not want to use it on public roads. While it may seem logical that a SORN vehicle does not require insurance since it’s not being driven, the reality is a bit more nuanced. In this article, we will dive into the details of whether SORN vehicles need insurance or not.

What is a SORN Vehicle?

A SORN vehicle is a car, motorbike, or any other type of vehicle that is declared off the road and not in use. The SORN declaration is made to the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) to inform them that the vehicle will not be driven on public roads and therefore exempt from certain obligations, such as road tax. SORN is typically used when a vehicle is undergoing repairs, kept in storage, or not being used for an extended period.

Is Insurance Required for SORN Vehicles?

The general rule is that if a vehicle is not being driven on public roads, it does not legally require insurance. However, there are a few factors to consider before canceling your insurance policy for a SORN vehicle:

1. Storage Location: If your SORN vehicle is parked on private property, such as your driveway or garage, the risk of theft, fire, or damage may still exist. In such cases, having insurance can provide financial protection against these risks.

2. Third-Party Liability: Even if you don’t plan on driving your SORN vehicle, accidents can still happen. If your vehicle causes damage to another person’s property or injures someone, you may still be liable. Having insurance coverage can protect you from potential legal expenses and compensation claims.

3. Future Use: While your vehicle may be declared off the road now, there is always a possibility that you might want to use it again in the future. Canceling your insurance policy may result in higher premiums when you decide to reinstate it.

Options for Insurance Coverage on SORN Vehicles

If you decide to keep insurance coverage for your SORN vehicle, there are a few options to consider:

1. Laid-Up Policy: Some insurance providers offer “laid-up” policies specifically designed for SORN vehicles. These policies provide comprehensive coverage for fire, theft, and accidental damage while the vehicle is off the road.

2. Reduced Coverage: If you want to lower your insurance costs while still maintaining some level of protection, you can discuss reduced coverage options with your insurance provider. This may include removing certain elements from your policy, such as driving coverage or roadside assistance.

Cancelling Insurance for SORN Vehicles

If you decide to cancel your insurance policy for a SORN vehicle, there are a few important steps to follow:

1. Inform Your Insurance Provider: Contact your insurance provider and let them know that you want to cancel your policy. They will guide you through the process and provide any necessary paperwork.

2. Return Your Insurance Disc: If you have a physical insurance disc for your vehicle, return it to your insurance provider to ensure proper cancellation.

3. Keep Proof of SORN: Make sure to keep a copy of your SORN declaration as proof that your vehicle is off the road and not in use.

The Bottom Line

While SORN vehicles are not legally required to have insurance, it is essential to consider the potential risks and future use of the vehicle before making a decision. Whether you choose to keep insurance coverage or cancel it, be sure to consult with your insurance provider to understand the options available to you and the implications of your decision.